Wednesday, December 14, 2011

3 weeks

Cami is almost a month old! Crazy to think that.. but they say it goes fast. And it does!

Things are going pretty good here at home. Cami and I are getting out more, mostly to do some Christmas shopping. I realize now how complicated it is to go out with a newborn. Yes, she is easy to transport because she just gets to stay in her carseat, but it's such a production to take her somewhere. On Monday, we decided to do some shopping around town. I had to take her into work to drop off some paperwork. Easy. Then we had to go to Hobby Lobby. She had a major meltdown in the middle of HL. I thought I was going to have to leave my cart behind and just run out of there. Horrible. Speaking of carts, why aren't they big enough for an infant carrier?! HL was WAAAAAYYYY too small. She had to sit on there sideways in order for her carseat to fit. Anyway, I got her to calm down and we went on to Walmart. But since we had been out for almost 2 hours, I had to nurse her. So I hopped in the back seat and nursed her there. People might think I'm crazy, but she has to eat! So get over it! :) Walmart carts were not big enough for her carrier either. If I put it on top, she was almost rolling out of the seat. Poor head positioning is not good for her. So she had to ride in the cart. Annoying because nothing would fit in the cart with her in there. Then our last stop was Lowe's. Seat didn't fit in that cart either.

Anyway the point of this is that it's very complicated for me to take her out to run a few errands. I'm sad to say I miss those days that I can just run into a store and pick something up real quick. But, happy to report that even though it's a big deal to go out, it's all worth it! (never thought I would say that either).

This past weekend we transitioned her to her crib. She is really well! She is still having a lot of trouble going down at night (takes us almost 2 hours), but she is sleeping in her own room. It makes it easier for Dan since he is trying to get as much sleep as he can during the night. We have this nice system working out for us. He takes the night shift of putting her down after he last feeding. Then I try and go to sleep early since I wake up overnight to feed her. Then I do the morning feeding as well. Since this past weekend here schedule is something like this:

9:00 pm - Last feeding of the night
9:30-11:00 - Dan's (and mine too) attempts at putting her down
3:00 am - Middle of the night feeding
7:15 am - Morning feeding

It's kind of nice that first stretch. That is when I get my most sleep. Then throughout the day, she nurses every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I have a feeling she is going through a growth spurt because she is nursing a lot more lately. But since my boobies are supply and demand, I can't really do anything about it. I want a healthy baby! :)

We have also used bottles a lot more recently. I sometimes give her one at her 9pm feeding and have been giving one at the 3am feeding. It's a lot faster. And I know it shouldn't be about convience for me, but I usually will be up for about 2 hours with her during the night. She takes forever to nurse, falls asleep on the boob, and then I have to change her and put her back down. All of this takes about 2 hours. And then an hour and a half later, she is ready to eat again. This just wasn't working out for me and I was pretty much a zombie. So we switched to bottles during the night and it's been wonderful. (knock on wood, please!). We also use bottles during the day if we are going out.

Overall, it's been good here. We are starting to get on a little schedule and I can't wait until it sticks! I'm such a rigid person that all I need is a schedule and I will be happy. I have my follow up postpartum appointment tomorrow and I hope she can tell me I can run! I can't wait to get back. I am down about 25 pounds since I left the hospital, but since I was slightly overweight to begin with, I have a bit more to lose. I am also anxious to get back into training for the Flying Pig! I was going to do that race before I found out I was pregnant. Then, per doctor's orders, I had to cut running out of my life during the pregnancy. So... needless to say, I am ready to get back!

143 days and counting until the race!

Until next time! :)

1 comment: