I'll try not to make this too personal and graphic.. but like I said in a previous post, I am doing this for those of you who are expecting or want to get pregnant and eventually breast feed.
Breastfeeding was a very touchy subject when I was pregnant. Dan really wanted me to try it out, but I said it just didn't sound normal. Before Cami arrived, I would think about it and feel like it was so foreign and strange. The thought of having a baby strapped to my boob was not something I was excited about (or even wanted to do). But I promised Dan I would give it a try.
While I was in the hospital, I lost all modesty (which is what everyone told me would happen). They have to watch you breastfeed and to me, this felt completely wrong. Hello, personal space! I didn't really want some lady to come watch me nurse Cami and judge about incorrect latch or small nipple size. But with all the crap that people saw during labor and delivery, I thought, who cares about a boob!
My first time nursing was a bit strange AND painful! They warned me of sore nipples and cramping, but HOLY COW! I'm pretty sure my nipples were blistered after the first day in the hospital. And the cramping is awful! Not only do women have to endure labor and delivery (more power to those who do it naturally) but after it's all said and done, you get contractions of your uterus while you are nursing! How lovely it is to be a lady. But, I got through all of them, but it was painful. I used plenty of nipple cream while in the hospital and even had my first leak session while I was sleeping. Soaked all the way through to the nursing hospital gown. Embarrassing.
Also while I was pregnant, I was nervous about Dan seeing me breastfeed. It didn't seem natural and I didn't want him to watch while I did that. This also changed after Cami was born.. now I just whip that boob out and nurse her without even thinking about it. It's really not a big deal anymore! I've even nursed in public!
I'm not going to be one of those crazy moms who nurse until their child can request milk, but I'll continue to provide breast milk to Cami. I have been feeling really guilty lately for giving her a bottle (about one every few days), but eventually that is what she will need since she will be going to daycare. For some reason, they don't accept my boob there! :) A bit of advice to those who are thinking about breastfeeding - It's hard at first and painful. I will be honest. But it does get better! I never thought I would say this, but it's a good bonding experience and I look forward to nursing Cami, except in the middle of the night! I'm just too tired for all that. If anyone needs advice, let me know. I'm no expert, but I may be able to help somewhat.
Until next time!
btw - Cami is 2 weeks old. We had our 2 week well baby visit and she weighs 8lbs now! Her head circumference was 14 (grew an inch! - we need to make room for that engineering brain!) and her length is still the same because she was too wiggly to get it right! Our little girl is growing! Hopefully she'll fit into her 0-3 month clothes soon!
Breastfeeding was a very touchy subject when I was pregnant. Dan really wanted me to try it out, but I said it just didn't sound normal. Before Cami arrived, I would think about it and feel like it was so foreign and strange. The thought of having a baby strapped to my boob was not something I was excited about (or even wanted to do). But I promised Dan I would give it a try.
While I was in the hospital, I lost all modesty (which is what everyone told me would happen). They have to watch you breastfeed and to me, this felt completely wrong. Hello, personal space! I didn't really want some lady to come watch me nurse Cami and judge about incorrect latch or small nipple size. But with all the crap that people saw during labor and delivery, I thought, who cares about a boob!
My first time nursing was a bit strange AND painful! They warned me of sore nipples and cramping, but HOLY COW! I'm pretty sure my nipples were blistered after the first day in the hospital. And the cramping is awful! Not only do women have to endure labor and delivery (more power to those who do it naturally) but after it's all said and done, you get contractions of your uterus while you are nursing! How lovely it is to be a lady. But, I got through all of them, but it was painful. I used plenty of nipple cream while in the hospital and even had my first leak session while I was sleeping. Soaked all the way through to the nursing hospital gown. Embarrassing.
Also while I was pregnant, I was nervous about Dan seeing me breastfeed. It didn't seem natural and I didn't want him to watch while I did that. This also changed after Cami was born.. now I just whip that boob out and nurse her without even thinking about it. It's really not a big deal anymore! I've even nursed in public!
I'm not going to be one of those crazy moms who nurse until their child can request milk, but I'll continue to provide breast milk to Cami. I have been feeling really guilty lately for giving her a bottle (about one every few days), but eventually that is what she will need since she will be going to daycare. For some reason, they don't accept my boob there! :) A bit of advice to those who are thinking about breastfeeding - It's hard at first and painful. I will be honest. But it does get better! I never thought I would say this, but it's a good bonding experience and I look forward to nursing Cami, except in the middle of the night! I'm just too tired for all that. If anyone needs advice, let me know. I'm no expert, but I may be able to help somewhat.
Until next time!
btw - Cami is 2 weeks old. We had our 2 week well baby visit and she weighs 8lbs now! Her head circumference was 14 (grew an inch! - we need to make room for that engineering brain!) and her length is still the same because she was too wiggly to get it right! Our little girl is growing! Hopefully she'll fit into her 0-3 month clothes soon!

What good news to hear Kristen that nursing is going well. Oh how I can relate to everything you've said. I nursed Jess 9 months and Tim 2 months. The benefits for Cami by far will out weigh the cramping etc. As well, nursing brings your uterus size right back down. Oh how I looked forward to the quiet bonding time together. Keep up the good work! Kathy Lebo Karpen
ReplyDelete