Friday, December 2, 2011

Postpartum and Home!

Let me continue my updating process with what happened after labor and delivery!

At our local hospital, there are 2 different locations throughout the hospital for those who are delivering and then after the baby is born. Labor and Delivery is in the Women's Center. I went there for only the labor and delivery process. After delivery (and when I could finally feel my legs again) I was moved downstairs to the postpartum floor. This is where I would recover and also where the nursery is.

Cami had to spend a few extra hours in the nursery because her temperature was not quite right. She spent some time under the french fry lamps to warm up, and by time I could feel my legs again, she was ready to leave the nursery. I met her and Dan in my room and I finally got to spend some time with her after having not seen her in about 4 hours.

This is where the real fun began (besides going home). It was so strange to see her laying in the bassinet from the nursery. I just kept looking at my belly and thinking "this was what was inside the whole time. This is who gave me nights of bad sleep, horrible back pain for the ENTIRE pregnancy, and heartburn I never want to experience again." But like they say, once you see your baby, all those feelings disappear and you are so totally in love with this little person you just met for the first time (besides being in your belly).

We stayed in the hospital for about 2 days. I was so ready to get home, but very nervous at the same time. When we left the hospital, I was in charge of putting Cami in her carseat. May I suggest practicing with a baby doll or stuffed animal. I jacked those car seat straps up so much trying to get this tiny person inside. I actually had her leg on the top side of the lap belt. HA! It was frustrating (mainly because Dan was yelling at me and making fun of me) but now that I look back, I can laugh about it.

Home:
Oh man was this an experience. Talk about eye opening!! First of all, let me just be completely honest with all of you (whoever you are that reads this) and say that it was VERY HARD! I had real bad baby blues (still lingering at times). I would just cry and cry for no reason. Cami was having a hard time nursing and it was like the end of the world to me. For those of you who read this who may be having a baby soon, let me assure you that the baby blues do go away. It's hard at first knowing that I was the only one who could feed the baby and when she eats every 2-3 hours, that's overwhelming. But it does get better. It's not entirely better right now, but I am used to it and we are starting to develop a bit of a schedule so I can anticipate when she will be eating again and so on. It was also hard having my family here. I LOVED to have them here, but it was so much at one time, it just caused me to breakdown even more. I just wished that Dan and I could have spent a couple days home with Cami before family was in town, but since she was stubborn and wanted to "bake" a little longer, we didn't have this option. But let me tell you, having family around was nice because I could rest and know that she was in good hands. So it wasn't all that bad, just felt like too much at the time.

Right now we are trying to get Cami to learn her days from nights. She will sleep all day and then be up all night. It's frustrating, but from what my friends and family have said, it will be here for a few more weeks and we just have to live with it. But everyone says, "it's gets better!" Let's hope so. The 3 hours of sleep last night aren't really working out for me today! :(

Until next time! :)

5 comments:

  1. I swear it really does get better! By the time Adrianna was one month old it seemed a lot easier to handle her than when I first took her home. Eventually you'll feel like an expert and then you'll get the crazy motion that you wanna do this all over again because it wasnt "that bad." which is what I am currently debating haha! That smile will make you forget how tired you are, even for a few seconds. I love how honest you are btw, people need to know that having a newborn is not cakes and rainbows like they how on tv......it is hard and sometimes you wonder if you can even make it through to the next day! There were times when joe would be sound asleep and I would be up with the baby getting her to stop crying and I would get so angry at him for bein able to sleep! Thinking to myself, "it's not fair! Why is he sleeping! Doesn't he hear the baby?!" bu that's only because I'm pretty sure you are on the brink of crazy when you are a sleep deprived hormone crazed mom of a newborn haha.. Good times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so enjoying the documents here! You'll endure everything in due time! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen! A schedule works wonders, and I also put Jakob in his carseat in the crib to sleep. I was so sleep deprived and going crazy! I swore I wouldn't do it, but a few friends recommended it and I asked my doc and he said it would be okay. I strapped him in and he would sleep longer and longer each night. We did this for about a month, where he eventually would sleep most of the night at 3-4 months:) We removed the carseat about 3 or so months with not a tremendous amount of problems.

    Just a thought:)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your new daughter is a beautiful little girl. From her pictures we looked at (on website) she looks like her hair is reddish brown to me but David insists that it is black.We are looking forward to meeting her and getting a good look up close. It is sweet to read about your experiences, I can relate and know that it is all part of the process. What I was nervous about were our two large dogs when I brought Nora home. They were fine but I was sure that they would eat her!!!! God Bless

    ReplyDelete