Thursday, September 27, 2012

kwelsh cakes!

Have you ever had a dream? Or a passion that you just had to fulfill (get your mind out of the gutter!)? Well I have one and I am determined to make it work...

I want to own a cupcake shop. Not just ANY cupcake shop, kwelsh cakes! (For all my HMC friends)... or NinNin's Cupcakery (for my nephews)! There is no difference between the two, just trying out some names. But, I want to make cupcakes for a living and have a cute, but modern, cupcakery with coffee and beer! Since Dan is going to try out brewing his own beer, we thought the two of us could go into business. He can brew his beer and I can make cupcakes. All in one shop!

Ahhh dreams... they are dreams for a reason. I know NOTHING about running a business, making a profit, OR buy supplies, etc. So I can continue to dream while I make cupcakes in my kitchen!

This past weekend we had a WONDERFUL dinner at my sister's house. We are planning to meet up at least once a month on a Sunday to have a family dinner. We are trying to take advantage of the time we have here in Ohio since we aren't sure where our next adventure will take us! Anyway, I made cupcakes for the family dinner. I chose....

SALTED CARAMEL MOCHA CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES...dan doesn't like mocha.

I can't take credit for this recipe.. but I did piece together some recipes. I find this makes the best cupcake. But I'm no professional...

The devil's food cake recipe was from here. I didn't really like the recipe to be honest, but I didn't figure that out until I was already in the process. Also, my cake turned out very dry. The baking time didn't account for cupcakes (I should have thought of this before I chose this recipe) but I baked them for 20 mins. I would recommend 18 minutes. I also used cake flour instead of all-purpose flour.

The rest of the recipe came from this awesome website. The directions were easy to follow. I used the recipe for the caramel and for the caramel buttercream. Did you know that if you stir sugar long enough on medium heat it creates caramel?! I didn't know this (and I call myself a baker, ha!)! Anyway, it's a LONG LONG LONG time to get that caramel, but eventually it worked. I had some issues once I added the butter, but I left it on the burner and it turned from hard candy to caramel. I also added 1 stick of SALTED butter and one of unsalted butter. I was going for the salted buttercream effect.

For the buttercream, it was super easy. Unless your hand mixer tries to catch on fire and blow up! YAY kitchen aid stand mixer!
Isn't she beautiful?? 

I drizzled caramel over the top of the cupcakes and put a little chocolate rock sugar (thank you, TJ MAXX) on top. I wanted a mix of salt and sugar but I couldn't find it. 

All in all, I thought it was a success. My cake needs work but it's my first time making devil's food cake from scratch. I'll work on that. Here's my beautiful creation:

DELISH! :)

Next up a kwelsh cakes is Black Forest! I'll let you know how they turn out. 

Until next time... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment