I thought I would update everyone with some details of the surgery and my recovery thus far.
Tuesday: The day of the surgery. We made it on time to our 6:00am appointment. They called me back and I had to get undressed and into a gown. It was FREEZING! Then I got a shot in my butt (which still hurts 4 days later) to give me dry mouth for the surgery. Then I had an IV put in place. I actually did good with this! I was nervous but they really did a good job with it! Then Dan came in. The first thing I did was cry. A nurse came in about 10 minutes later and saw I was scared to death and said she would be in to give me "something to calm me down." HA! I got that shot and about 2 seconds later I was in la-la land. I apparently told Dan I loved him, kissed him, and then went on my merry way back to the OR. I remember someone saying something about the medicine making me feel like I have a "heavy booty" or something. Then I do remember moving onto the operating table from my bed in the holding room. That is all I remember. I woke up in the recovery room and the first thing I did was get sick. Twice. It was icky and hurt my throat REALLY bad. I got yet another shot in my butt for nausea/vomiting which put me out! I barely remember getting home. I told Dan he was bad at car transfers (haha the physical therapist in me) and asked my mom to help since that is what she does! I then slept ALLLLLL day. I woke up once to eat and had about half a cup of jello and a mug of chicken noodle soup. I could barely swallow and was in extreme pain. I didn't do much else this day.
Wednesday: I was feeling better today. I know I took some pain medicine and spent some time with my parents. They left this day, so I tried to stay awake long enough to see them out. They went to Zaxby's for lunch and I was able to eat some french fries and a milkshake. It hurt to chew but I managed. Again, took some more meds and was pretty much out of it the rest of the night. I also got to take a bath that night. Dan was so sweet and helped me into the tub and helped me wash my back. Then I managed to climb onto the kitchen counter to put my head into the sink so my hair could be washed. It made me feel much better but still not as good as a shower!
Thursday/Friday: I was feeling much better these two days. I was a little nauseated on Thursday but able to keep food down. Then on Friday I went out for the first time! It was nice to get out! I was starting to have cabin fever! We went to Olive Garden and then did a little shopping. I also took my bandage off on Friday night. It was starting to itch real bad and they told me after 4 days I could take it off. It looks okay. I look like I have a turkey neck (the Doctor said I would) and its still swollen. It's hard to sleep and I'm still sleeping at a 45 degree angle.
Saturday: Today Dan made me breakfast! He's the best! I had a turkey sausage, egg and cheese sandwich on a crossiant with fresh fruit! I was able to eat it all (slowly though) and it was pretty good! He's the best husband ever!!! So supportive in this whole thing! Tonight we are going to a Christmas party with our awesome tacky sweaters!!!! I am hoping to stay the whole time but we'll see how I feel!!!
Thanks for all the support, prayers, and well wishes! I will keep updating you with my recovery! I have a follow-up appointment on the 17th and will let you all know how it goes!!!
Until then! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad you are feeling better, just take it easy and slowly (the nurse talking). Can't wait till you return to work, I miss you :)
ReplyDelete