Many of you may not know that I am trying to get another job. A few people know, but I was trying to keep it on the DL for as long as I could. Well I finally had to tell my supervisor because she kept asking me daily if I was going to stay with Integra or if I was leaving after my CFY.
There was a point in my CF that I hated my job and hated the one facility where I worked. It was very hard to go to work everyday because the people there (mainly dietary and a few nurses, the administrator and DON) made me want to pull my hair out. They were constantly criticizing the decisions I made and trying to make it seem like I was a bad SLP. And I know that is not true. Being that all of this happened right after my first CFY review in which Amber, my supervisor, had said that I was a great CF and that she was very impressed with my knowledge and the way I do my therapy and evals. I got all good feedback from her and from my boss. Then I come to this building in question and I feel like I'm doing something wrong because they are always mad about my decisions and always asking me why.
To make a long story short, we eventually worked out our issues and for the most part, I am getting along with everyone and they are happy with the work I am doing there. I can't say I get along with Dietary. For some reason they all just hate me and it's like a chore for them to get me something I need out of the kitchen. I would rather go out and buy all of my own snacks and sippy cups then have to go back there and ask. And that is just sad. Other then that department, I am happy to work there.
But when I was not happy, I went out and looked for another job and had every intention of leaving from there and completing my CF elsewhere. But by time I got interviews and such, I was getting along with everyone. It's complicated. Anyway I had 3 interviews: one for Bibb county Schools, one for Houston County Schools, and one for The Speech Path. I was very excited about the Speech Path. It's a private practice and they were SOOO awesome when I went there. I could see myself working there. But they offered me a position and it was not in the pay range I had wanted. I thought it was going to be right around what I'm making now, but it was a lot less. Dan and I had been talking about doing things (travel, vacations, yard work) and if I took the pay cut, those things would not be possible. So I turned down the job. Which was a good decision because they lady was very rude when I told her and that made it a little easier.
Now for the schools.. Ugh. Not sure if I want to work in that mess. I would need a lot of help because I know nothing about IEPs. But they said they were more than willing to help me learn. Bibb county (in Macon) has not offered me a position yet, but we are actively speaking about it. I wish it was Houston county. That is my dream school that I want to be in. But they never called me back. Assholes.
Anyway. I am weighing the Pros and Cons. Oh and I forgot to mention that the other building where I currently work is shutting down. Therefore, I would have to work full time in the building that is less than desirable (the aforementioned facility with the horrible kitchen staff). So that is a big CON on my list.
So for now, I will be thinking about the pros and cons if I leave Integra and go to work in the schools. Please provide input if you have any! Until next time!!! :/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I could give you a crash course in IEPs in no time flat, just give me the word! Miss you :)
ReplyDeleteWe sooooo need to talk. I totally feel your pain and think we should discuss the struggles of working in a SNF. Some of the same things that you are so frustrated with, I AM TOO (like the fact that we have had 3 Administrators within 6 months, 4 DONs within the past 6 months, and 2 new diatary people since I've been there full time).I feel you girl, I really do! Let's talk!
ReplyDeleteI can give you ALL the pros & cons of a school. And trust me, there are a lot more pros to be very honest. I will be seeing you this weekend!!!!! :) We can ketchup then!
ReplyDelete